akg k702 vs beyerdynamic dt 880 mixing

akg k702 vs beyerdynamic dt 880 mixing

vs. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition. Hugh Robjohns, You get firm head pressure and a nice solid fit, but you might not appreciate that after a heavy night! Audio-Technica: Audio‑Technica +44 (0)113 277 1441. LEARN MORE ABOUT THE Q701 in my AKG Q701 vs. K701 COMPARISON!! vs. Sennheiser HD6 Mix. The tone was warm, going on muffled and boxy, and detail wasn't thick on the ground. Je n’ai pas résisté à l’envie de faire une petite écoute préliminaire sur chacun d’eux. My pick of the bunch — which I've bought since trying them out. They're accurate enough for reliable mixing, but the lack of physical stability puts me off. Je viens juste de recevoir ces deux casques. AKG K141 MKII vs AKG K240 – Which Ones are Better? Hugh Robjohns, These phones are reasonably light and fairly comfortable. I expect pleasingly full tones from Audio-Technica headphones, and wasn't disappointed, but found them a little fatiguing in the upper mid-range at higher levels. Given the overall tone, laid-back delivery of transients, decent isolation, and low spill‑levels, these are much better suited to overdubbing, where they put in a respectable performance for the price. The sound spectrum is well balanced, with good bass definition and an airy, open top end and accurate dynamics, even at high listening levels. Despite the fatiguing tonal crispness, the high end came across as messy and lacking in resolution from a mixing perspective. AKG K72 vs AKG K52 – Which Headphones are Better? 8 years ago. They're comfortable and not at all over‑bright, so you can listen for a long time without getting tired. The head pressure is comparatively light, and although the fit doesn't feel precarious, isolation isn't particularly good. If I didn't already own a pair of HD650s, the DT880s would be a no‑brainer purchase. Sam Inglis, I'd far rather use a pair of DT250s than the classic DT100s in most cases. Sam Inglis. Beyerdynamic: Polar Audio +44 (01444)258 258. First Look: Pro Tools | Carbon. I don't know about the onboard output of your mac. Great care has been taken to ensure accuracy in the preparation of this article but neither Sound On Sound Limited nor the publishers can be held responsible for its contents. I liked the K702s a great deal, and while their overall tonality felt a bit toppy for heavily processed commercial styles, this may be beneficial with more natural‑sounding acoustic music, where it will focus attention on subtle high‑frequency details. Compare Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro vs AKG K712 PRO headphones side-by-side. They're the same sensitivity as the DT250s and offer a very well-balanced sound spectrum, with extended bass. Mike Senior. +1 on the Beyerdynamic DT-880! The transducers are hand selected to be matched within ±1dB. The HD280 is probably my best budget recommendation for tracking or mixing if you have to go the closed‑back route. Hugh Robjohns, I've used the MDR7509s [the previous model to the MDR7509 HD] for a long time, both for listening and for mixing. They're very comfortable and OK for mixing once you get used to them: the subjective sound is quite similar to that of my studio speakers, but perhaps a hint more 'toppy'. Mike Senior, I found these phones pretty friendly for mixing, with a smooth, open sound, and not too much hype in any particular area. The HD800 is undoubtedly more accurate and better built than the HD650, but not three times better than something that is probably already 95 percent of the way to perfection anyway. AKG. Paul White, I found the DT250s comfortable and secure. There's the inevitable hint of mid‑range congestion that comes with low‑cost enclosed phones. The open‑back design makes these less suitable for overdubbing. These are good workhorses, other than the comfort issue: probably best suited to tracking. The Pro900 is expensive and impressive sounding, but not the most accurate to mix with. The Sennheiser HD800s were by far the most expensive on test, and probably the best — although not all of us had the opportunity to audition them, as they were only just becoming available as we wrote this article. By contrast, the DT 880 is a mixing/reference headphone that has a very flat, neutral response. The bass is impressive, despite its understatement, and as extended as that of the HD650s, but somehow more precise and tuneful. They exhibit a sparkle at the top end that flatters acoustic performances, and would be great if you prefer a brighter monitoring tone. They have quite a 'shouty' voicing, with a prominent high mid‑range and quite subdued bass. Based on our rating, both have the same overall rating of 7.5 out of 10. The tone is a bit shy at the very low end, while the low mid‑range feels emphasised, misrepresenting some bass‑instrument balances, but the bass reproduction itself is clean enough that you can learn to compensate for this. I quite liked them, given the price, and would use them for overdubbing. Average sensitivity allows working levels to be achieved with plenty of range either way. I hadn't used these before the group test, but could definitely get used to their exceptionally analytical mid-range. Win! Overall, while the HD280 is a worthy mix tool, I preferred the tonality of the DT250 and K240 MkII and would personally go for those first. upper harmonics for sub‑bass sounds. AKG: Sound Technology +44 (0)1462 480000. These are OK for mixing, with good resolution, and good for tracking. The ear pads and lead are easily replaceable, and there's a clever 3.5/6.25mm adapter. They sound gloriously smooth and natural and might sound even better with Sennheiser's recommended headphone amplifier, but in the interests of fairness, I used the same Aphex Headpod amp that I used to drive the other phones on test. They're superbly comfortable over extended periods and there's not a great deal out there to touch them. The technology of closed‑back phones has moved on, though, and many are now quite usable for mixing if necessary, although our preference is still for open‑backed designs where feasible. Slightly less sensitive than the reference AKG K702, they're also mildly coloured and veiled through the mid-range, with limited bass extension and squashed dynamics. The now long‑established Sennheiser HD650, and the Beyerdynamic DT880s seemed to get the most plaudits as mixing phones, with the AKG K702s and other Sennheiser and Beyer models coming close behind — all of which are open‑backed or semi-open-backed models. Re: Synthesizers. The bass is cooler than from the HD650s, and while this might seem less 'nice' on first listen, I found it a fraction more extended, realistic and neutral, which meant that these phones presented a gentler learning curve. The voicing is pleasant enough to make them good for personal listening pleasure — an open, airy and non‑hyped sound, that makes you surprised at the incredibly revealing levels of detail, particularly in the critical mid‑range. 43. points. Close. Bass is not hyped at all, making them seem almost bass‑light when A/B'ing against some others, but I find their smoothly extended LF to be a more accurate representation of what's really there. They're also exceptionally comfortable and stable on the head, when properly adjusted, which helps to make them easy to work with for extended periods. Hugh Robjohns, Offering a generally smooth, well‑balanced sound, and without an overly‑hyped top end, they're a little light in the deep bass, but the balance for late-night mixing isn't bad. They offer a very similar sonic performance to the MDR7509s, although with a slightly richer bottom end. We've since reviewed some relevant products, including the SPL Phonitor (December 2008), the VRM technology in Focusrite's Saffire Pro 24 DSP (November 2009), and high‑end headphone amps like the DACS Headmaster (same edition), in which we discuss some of these issues further. vs. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition. It's no surprise, then, that they are my (and Martin Walker's) personal favourite open‑backed headphones. They're very comfortable for extended listening periods, and you will want to enjoy extended listening periods! The open back ear cups are large and circular and covered in a suede-like padding that gives the headphones a premium appeal. Dynamics and mid-range clarity are good. Sam Inglis, Finding a nice fit was a challenge: at best they still dragged and pressed on my ears rather uncomfortably, the overhead strap seemed insufficiently padded, and their weight never really felt securely anchored. Hugh Robjohns, These are versatile phones that offer a decent tonal balance, albeit with a slightly scooped mid-range, and I liked the non‑fatiguing high end: a solid studio workhorse for tracking or routine mix checking. The bass reproduction seemed very good in the context of the overall tone; a bit better extended than the DT250s, and less tonally misleading than the MDR7509s, which meant that relative level and EQ judgements were pretty reliable. Paul White, Perfect for that Cybermen look, the head band tends to slide up the copper supports, and needed adjusting every time I put them on. Matt Houghton. These would be fine for tracking and good for mixing, but you'll need to become familiar with them before you stop making the high end too strong. The circumaural earpads fitted my ears without cramping, but there may not be quite enough space for some. In practice, a little experience allows you to compensate, and thereafter EQ judgements translate very reliably. The bass end is subjectively bigger than the DT880s, and, to my ears at least, perhaps a little uneven, as I seem to mix slightly bass‑light on them. The 650s offer an extremely detailed sound with clear separation and timing, dealing equally well with all kinds of material. The DT150's combination of thick, warm tonality and softened transients is tailored for overdubbing purposes, where it significantly reduces fatigue at high listening volumes. Ultrasone: Audio Limited +44 (0)1494 511 711. The top end's not as open as some models, but isn't bad. The fit is firm and comfortable. Tonally, the response is pretty clear‑sounding, with quite a lot of high‑end detail, but the bass is a bit overblown for mixing: different areas of the low‑end spectrum are difficult to resolve when trying to decide on EQ settings. You lose some ground to the AKG K240 MkII in terms of laying bare mix details and dissecting layered sounds, but the DT250s represent a better all‑round choice if you need headphones both for overdubbing and mixing. There's almost as much internal mix detail as with the MDR7509s, yet balances seem more representative and stable, and there's an impressive sense of speed to higher‑frequency transients without things becoming fatiguing. A really hard decision!! Bonjour à tous. For recording on location or working in noisy environments the Sennheiser HD251 II seemed popular, for their combination of excellent performance, build quality and exclusion of external sound. They have two-tone navy blue and silver color scheme and an old-school retro design that will work for some. We compare a selection of the best models. The Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO and the AKG K702 are both great headphones for critical listeners and have very little difference in performance. Hugh Robjohns, These larger enclosed phones have a fairly smooth mid-range and high end, but there's also a lack of low‑end weight. However, if you’re looking for the Gold Standard, the 880 comes in a close second place. AKG K712 Pro. vs. AKG K701. Hugh Robjohns, These sound initially impressive, but have a hyped high end and a somewhat scooped mid, which makes me suspect they're voiced for the consumer market, rather than for accuracy. Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro. Despite the D900's price being on a par with top‑of‑the‑line open‑backed models, I reckon you'll get more mixing horsepower from the significantly less expensive Beyer DT250 or AKG K240 MkII. They're comfortable and give good dynamics, but the balance seems a little light at the bottom end. The least sensitive of the group, they require more drive than the others, placing greater demands on the quality and capability of the headphone amp. The overall tone is fairly mellow, so initially you may find yourself undermixing the bass and overmixing the treble. These are Beyer's best-kept secret! The AKG K702 share the same style and build as the AKG K701 and AKG K712 PRO. This is the least expensive and competent model here, and personally I'd rather pay a little more for something that works better for tracking or mixing applications. Bass representation is a strong point, with good, clean extension, gentle low‑end roll‑off, and no serious low mid-range flattery to confuse mix decisions. For me, the DT880s are the top of the tree: they're not quite as subjectively engaging as the Sennheiser HD650s on a musical level, but are the closest I've got to forgetting that I'm listening on headphones! Transients come through nicely, though, and once you get used to them, it's perfectly possible to judge bass levels, although their brightness makes them a little fatiguing for long sessions. I was impressed with the extended yet natural low end, detailed mid-range and smooth highs and I would be happy to use these headphones for mixing — though I'd still like to hear my mixes on speakers as well. They combine an extremely accurate response with agility and spaciousness. Paul White, The earpads are much more comfortable than those of AKG's K240, but these phones still feel bulky. Paul White, A fairly lightweight headset with good head pressure gave a secure fit, although spill levels weren't as low as from some closed‑back designs. You get very good dynamics, resolution and a strong bass end. Isolation and spill is naturally compromised, but you get a very open sound, albeit tilted spectrally towards the upper registers (such that I preferred listening at lower levels). We really are into the realm of diminishing returns, though, and only the seriously fanatical will feel comfortable justifying the considerable additional cost. What is the difference between Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition and AKG K701? PreSonus StudioLive 32SC Series III Mixing Console. So, basically I've had K701's for quite some time, about two years to be precise. I wouldn't choose them for listening pleasure, but they seem revealing and reasonably accurate. These phones are amongst the most sensitive in the group, and the sound spectrum was very well balanced, with accurate deep bass, a clear, open mid‑range and top-end, accurate dynamics and clean, high SPLs. The real strong point for me is the excellent audibility of internal mix details, although if you're not careful this can encourage you to mix both the most up-front sounds (like lead vocals) and the most background sounds (such as reverbs) a little low, and to compress less than you need. They're very comfortable and secure, although the split lead feeding both earpieces won't appeal to all. Is it really about new sounds these days.... Cheap and Nasty handheld vocal microphone. For closed‑back designs, the Sony MDR 7509HDs seem to come out on top, with qualified plaudits also for the Audio-Technica ATH M50s. The mid‑range is quite prominent, which is good for some aspects of mixing, but a bit tiring for long periods. Why is AKG K712 Pro better than Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO? Sam Inglis, The combination of light weight and a well‑judged head‑pressure gave a really secure and comfortable fit for the circumaural earcups, which deliver decent isolation and fairly low spill levels. On the other hand, the AKG don't feel as tight as the Beyerdynamic, which is more comfortable for long listening sessions. Although fader levels felt slightly easier to judge further up the frequency range, and transients were nippier than on other cans aimed at overdubbing, I was unable to make reliable tonality judgements. They offer moderate isolation and the same sensitivity as K702s. It would take some familiarity before you're able to produce reliable mixes, but would be OK after that. Not ideal for mixing. Hugh Robjohns, Although enclosed, these have a small external bass port, allowing some leakage. On the flip side, the 880 is a phenomenal headphone without a doubt. Beyerdynamic DT 770 vs. AKG - K702. They'd be good affordable tracking headphones, and perhaps OK for late‑night mixing if you got used to them. Space for the ears is a bit restricted, and the headband feels quite hard, making them slightly less comfortable for long sessions. The low end goes down a long way, and although not quite as tuneful as some of the open‑backed models, nevertheless presents a pretty trustworthy balance. Turtle Beach 60P vs Turtle Beach P12 – Which Ones are Better? At moderate levels, the dynamics start to sound slightly squashed, but there's a nice, open top‑end and a slightly lean but extended bass. The sound is nicely balanced, with a realistically extended low end and natural, open‑sounding highs with plenty of overall detail and mid-range clarity. Mike Senior, Fostex T50RPThese have old‑fashioned styling and felt flimsy. However good your headphones, mixing on them offers a very different experience from mixing on speakers, and Martin Walker explored these issues back in SOS January 2007 (/sos/jan07/articles/mixingheadphones.htm). They offer lower subjective bass levels than the other Sennheiser models and the competing AKG K240 MkII, and a slightly forward upper mid-range gave a 'shouty' feel, which I found fatiguing. They're certainly not the most comfortable, but are the best choice if tracking in noisy environments or on the move. Mike Senior, The HD280 Pros offer the same high sensitivity as the HD251 II (+4dB), and good isolation, helped by a firm fit around the ears. Hugh Robjohns, Ultrasone Pro 900.The Pro900s offer moderate isolation and are more sensitive than most (+3dB). Before we consider each model in detail, then, think about what you need from your cans, and what compromises you'll find acceptable. The HD650s are fitted with a fixed quarter‑inch plug, but supplied with a short 3.5mm adaptor cable. There's also a good sense of stereo imaging. On the other hand, they're much better targeted at overdubbing applications, where their no‑nonsense robustness and low spill levels are attractive attributes. If I had to choose, I'd go for the DT770, because it gives you a better balance, albeit at the expense of slightly less reliable overall audio‑quality judgements. Spill levels are pretty low, probably on account of the large circumaural earpads. This made it tricky to judge balance for bass instruments objectively or evaluate low‑end and low mid-range EQ adjustments — and I'm unsure how well experience could compensate. It's a wonderfully unfatiguing sound that I could work with for hours, and they're physically comfortable too. Very comfortable to wear for short periods, they do tend to squash the pinnae after a while. The sound can tend towards hard when loud, but I suspect this is simply a reflection of the absence of any significant mid‑scooping. Communication of relative balance seemed compromised too, especially when focusing on bass, kick, vocal, and treble percussion levels. Paul White, The new HD800s aren't quite as sensitive as the other high‑end Sennheisers, but they're the pinnacle of fastidious headphone design (the result of two years of R&D effort to come up with an innovative edge‑driven transducer design), and are truly stunning in every way: they really do raise the benchmark for studio headphones. They're not dissimilar to the ATH M40s. What is the difference between Beyerdynamic DT 990 Edition and Sennheiser HD6 Mix? However, quality does seem to shine through, because the same suspects did crop up again and again. Let me know your opinions on these two. In short, this isn't a pair of headphones I'd recommend for mixing purposes. So while these headphones easily topped my list for overdubbing, at this price I'd choose the DT250 or MDR7509 instead if I wanted an all‑round model for both mixing and overdubbing. The differences are even more obvious when used with headphone jacks with higher output source impedances. The mid‑range frequency balance seems very true, with tonality differences between different mixes and spoken‑word recordings shining out, and balances feeling solid and dependable. Specifications are all well and good, but the acid test of any monitoring system is how easy it is to use, and how good the results, so what follows are our impressions of each model, taking the manufacturers in alphabetical order. HP Ravillion x360 for Windows music production? Hugh Robjohns, These small, fully enclosed phones sit uncomfortably on top of the ear, but additional ear pads are provided to mitigate this. Mastering Essentials Part 3 - How loud should I master? Sennheiser: Sennheiser UK +44(0)1494 551 551. Higher listening levels make things sibilant and fatiguing compared with the DT150s, and you lose most of the field-servicing possibilities. Close to being as good as it gets with open‑backed headphones and certainly very usable for mixing, given some practice. Beyerdynamic DT 770 vs. AKG - K702. Find out which is better and their overall performance in the headphones ranking. Equally as sensitive as the Sennheiser models (at +4dB), they're also very comfortable and stable to wear for long periods. It seems we weren't all able to agree on the best all‑round headphones, or, for that matter, the best ones for mixing or tracking, which just goes to show how personal preferences, or the musical styles in which you work will affect your choice. The DT990 is more of a “fun”, bass-heads headphone, meant for pure listening enjoyment. The ear-pad material generated a lot of rustling from small head movements, too. vs. AKG K702. I know that I will need a DAC/AMP for both of these, especially the DT 990, less so for the K702. Logitech H390 vs Logitech H600 – Which Headphones are Better? Mike Senior, The swivel‑mount, folding design is convenient, and I find the ATH M50s comfortable, even for longish periods. vs. AKG K612 Pro. Hello,I have been struggling with a decision which is where to get a Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 or a AKG K-701, the primary use of which will be gaming 70% (all genre of games), music 20% (mainly dubstep, alternative modern rock and some pop) and films 10%. Paul White, This closed‑back design has a secure, comfortable circumaural fit, with good isolation and spill stoppage. vs. Beyerdynamic DT 880 Edition. Years ago, closed-back phones tended to sound coloured ('boxy') and pretty dreadful, but were fine for cue feeds and checking that a recording was being made. Bass. Mike Senior, These light‑weight phones are remarkably comfortable, but a little loose on my head. In this context, the muted tonality makes a lot more sense too, because it doesn't fatigue the ear nearly as much when turned up loud, and at higher volumes your ears will give you more perceived high end anyway. A note to potential buyers: Upon further research, the HD600’s are the better option for mixing. They give good isolation and are fairly sensitive, at +2dB relative to the AKG K702s. If you want to get into mixing you will probably invest in some monitors sooner or later. Mike Senior, These very comfortable and stable phones fold for convenient storage. The 880 does have more bass and sparkle, so it does a little better with stuff like Rock, Progressive, Metal, and Electronica. They're as comfortable and stable to wear as the HD600s, but with a fractionally more extended bottom end, lower distortion, closer matching tolerances and a usefully higher (6dB) peak SPL. Paul White, These offer a secure fit, although the earcups are fairly small and a bit uncomfortable after prolonged use. Mike Senior, The ATH M40s are comfortable and reasonably lightweight, and the earpieces can be rotated. They're smoother sounding than the M35s, with a good tonal balance, and are light and comfortable. vs. Sennheiser HD 280 Pro. vs. Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro. Overall, these headphones are good enough to function as a useful secondary mix tool alongside your main monitors, and they can deliver a spectacular full‑range cue mix for overdubbing.

Lipscomb University Women's Basketball Division, Pattern Program In Javascript, Evidence-based Policy Health, Instagram Countdown Ideas For Birthday, Cheap Vlogging Camera With Viewfinder,